As we round the corner into 2020, we wanted to highlight the blog content that was most engaged with by our readership far and wide. Maybe you missed one of these articles, or podcasts, or a conference audio recording. Whether you’re resting on the couch, or in the car again driving from your aunt’s house to your cousin’s house then back to your grandma’s house, take a minute to read and listen and be encouraged by the everlasting gospel of Jesus Christ.
The Fifteen Most-Read Articles of 2019
15. Four Ways Our “Biblical Masculinity” Talks Need to Change
14. What It’s Like When the Kids Grow Up: A Conversation Between Two Moms
13. Resting in Him Because I Can’t Do It All
12. Singing the Gospel: Three Questions for Worship Song Selection
11. Fully Seen, Fully Known, and Fully Loved
10. 6 Ways to Disciple Your Kids to Pray
9. Why Are All the Kids Reading Dystopian? And How the Gospel Gives Us a Better Story to Tell
8. Leo Tolstoy and the Lie Our Students Believe
7. The Gospel I Wish I’d Known in High School
6. Hope Amidst College Admissions Insanity
5. Why Youth Ministries Should Foster More Male-Female Friendships
4. Jesus is King: What to Say to Teenagers About Kanye West’s Conversion
3. How the Bible Calls Dads to Father Their Daughters
2. Dear Parent of a High School Senior
1.Four Things Youth Workers Would Tell Parents About Teenagers, Social Media, and Technology
Charlotte’s Honorable Mentions
We Are Forky: The Unsurprising Brilliance of Toy Story 4
Four Ways Our “Biblical Femininity” Talks Need to Change
Gospel Inclusion for Isolated Teens
Teaching to Teenagers: Is God’s Word Your Foundation or a Buttress?
Chelsea’s Honorable Mentions
Sharing the Gospel and Our Lives As Well
Discontented Youth Minister, Don’t Leave Too Soon
Rooted in Prayer: Praying with Paul for Our Students
Anna’s Honorable Mentions
Nurturing the “Invisible” Child
The Legacy I Hope to Leave My Kids
Student Series: Holding Onto Faith in College
Most-Read Article Written by a Teenager:
Student Series: Pursuing God in a World Full of People to Please
Five Most-Listened-to Podcasts
Dave Thomas on Adolescent Anxiety
Ask Alice: Liked But Still Lonely, the Realities of iGen Relationships with Technology
Ask Alice: A Conversation with Dr. Stacey Gilbert on Teenagers Struggling with Anxiety and Depression
Rooted Podcast: How Do We Love and Disciple Boys Well?
Rooted Podcast: How Do We Love and Disciple Girls Well?
Three Most-Listened-to Conference Talks
Scott Sauls on Creating Belonging in an Age of Judgement, Isolation, and Fear
Nancy Guthrie on What Grieving People Wish You Knew About What Really Helps and What Really Hurts
Rebecca Heck on Building a Gospel-Centered Culture for Your Students
Top Instagram Posts
Grace for the First Year of Youth Ministry
Taking Refuge in the God We’ve Offended
Rooted 2019 Book Awards
2019 has been a good year for books, and we wanted to share some of our favorites here.
Best New Youth Ministry Book: A Biblical Theology of Youth Ministry by Mike McGarry (review here; Rooted author page here)
Best New Parenting Book: Risen Motherhood: Gospel Hope for Everyday Moments by Emily Jensen and Laura Wifler (review here)
Best New Book for Moms: Sufficient Hope: Gospel Meditations and Prayers for Moms by Christina Fox (review here and Rooted article by the author here)
Best New Book for Dads: Between Us Guys by Joel Fitzpatrick (Rooted review here)
Best Gospel-Centered Practical Parenting Book: Mom, Dad, What’s Sex by Joel Fitzpatrick and Jessica Thompson (Rooted review here)
Best New Book for Teenagers by a Teen: Transformed by Truth by Katherine Forester (Rooted review here and Rooted article by the author here)
Best Book on Culture: Seculosity: How Career, Parenting, Technology, Food, Politics, and Romance Became Our New Religion and What to Do about It by David Zahl. (Rooted review here).
Enjoy the rest of the holiday season!